At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is currently seeking an Electrical Designer to work as an integral part of the industrial and commercial facilities team in our Denver, Colorado office.
The primary role of the Electrical Designer is to produce electrical / instrumentation & controls (I&C) design drawings and documents in Revit and AutoCAD as part of the overall electrical and I&C engineering team. Typical tasks include creation and drafting of high-quality electrical layouts in Revit; population of panelboard schedules; creation of one-line and control diagrams; sizing of feeders and electrical equipment; creation of lighting designs including selection of light fixtures and associated switching/circuiting; process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs); network diagrams, panel layouts; and control schematics. The Electrical Designer will coordinate with other engineering disciplines (Mechanical, Plumbing, Civil, etc.) to produce coordinated designs, including creation of coordinated mechanical equipment schedules. Reviews of submittals, shop drawings, and RFIs, and occasional construction field observation will be required.
The Electrical Designer will work under the guidance and mentorship of senior staff electrical and I&C engineers and CAD/BIM team members. Project assignments may include heavy-equipment O&M facilities, municipal water/wastewater, mining, data center/mission-critical, and industrial and institutional campus facilities. Detailed electrical and I&C design is the primary focus of this position.
The Electrical Designer will typically participate in several concurrent projects. Project assignments are expected to be primarily in the Colorado/Rocky Mountain area, although assignment to projects located in other geographies is possible. Occasional short-term travel (typically 1-5 days) may be necessary. Longer term (several weeks) assignments may be required infrequently on project assignments.
* 3-8+ years of experience in building electrical power systems design, building lighting systems design, load calculations, fault current calculations, and mechanical systems coordination.
* Working knowledge/fluency with Revit, AutoCAD, and lighting/photometric analysis software.
* Experience as a model-element author and model manager in Revit.
* Command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
* Ability to produce schedules (panels, conduit and nameplates, etc.), one-line and schematic diagrams, P&IDs, and wiring diagrams.
* Candidate must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Robust interpersonal skills and professional demeanor appropriate for interacting with clients, other design professionals, and colleagues.
* Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
* Previous experience with an architectural/engineering consulting firm is required.
* An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
* LEED AP and/or Envision SP credentials are a plus.
* Experience in heavy process- or energy-intensive industries such as heavy-equipment facilities, military facilities, municipal water/wastewater, mining, and/or data center/mission-critical is beneficial.
* Experience in architecturally intensive designs such as gaming, entertainment, corporate/commercial and similar facilities is highly desirable.
* Preference given to local candidates
Benefits and Compensation:
We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee ownership, employee health, performance, and success; which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, employee referral bonuses and tuition reimbursement. The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $56,595 - $80,850 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.